There’s one band you won’t want to miss at this year’s Mathew Street Music Festival in Liverpool. For the first time, residents and visitors will be able to buy a special black and gold wristband which gives them access to special offers and discounts from retailers, restaurants, bars and attractions across Liverpool on the 28 and 29 August.
Offers include 20% off meals at award winning restaurant Lunya in Liverpool ONE, 20% off the Yellow Boat Tour and 10% off clothes from Resurrection on Bold Street. The wristbands costs just £3 and can be bought online at the Band Together page or at The 08 Place and Liverpool ONE Information Centre.
Leader of Liverpool City Council, Councillor Joe Anderson, said: “Band Together is a fantastic scheme for everyone involved. Not only does it generate some financial support for the event, but thanks to the generosity of many of the city’s retailers, festival-goers will benefit from all the special offers. Mathew Street Music Festival is hugely popular, but is costly to put on so we’re asking for support from those who take part in and enjoy the event. It isn’t feasible for the council to continue to solely fund the event and the level of support we receive this year will shape the future of the event.”
There are other firsts for the festival this year – a VIP bar and terrace which offers an oasis of calm in the heart of all the action. The stylish VIP area offers complimentary drinks and snacks, comfy sofas, free hair and make-up repairs, private loos and live entertainment. Tickets for this exclusive marquee cost £25 and include the official Band Together wristband. For more information visit www.mathewstreetvip.org.
There’s also an online competition run by top Midlands brewer Marston’s which is sponsoring the Superlambanana stage. They are encouraging local bands to upload their youtube videos for the chance to play at events and festivals in the city. Judging will take place after the Festival and the most popular bands will be invited to play at a range of local venues and festivals in 2011 and 2012. The website address for entries is www.marstonsepa.co.uk/mathewst/.
This year is the 19th annual festival taking place on the 28 and 29 August. It has the usual rich mix of international bands and local talent. This year musicians from more than 30 countries, including Argentina, Brazil, Norway, Germany and the USA will be performing. More than half of the acts are from the Merseyside region, and there will be a strong Beatles and Merseybeat presence across all the stages. The event will see more than 80 hours of live outdoor music performed on five stages.
Highlights include a Liverpool Number One stage, where all 53 number ones recorded by Liverpool artists will be played, and a special celebration of the music of George Harrison. The Made In Liverpool stage will feature original bands and artists from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and the Radical Stage will celebrate Liverpool’s Year of the Radicals. There’s also a nod to the 2012 London Olympics with a London Calling stage, while the contemporary stage at The Tunnel has tributes to Lady Gaga, Beyoncé and Katy Perry.
All the offers festival goers can make the most of so far are:
- 20% off meals at Lunya, Liverpool ONE
- 10% off accessories such as drum sticks and guitar strings, and all Beatles related music books and souvenirs at Dawsons Music.
- 10% off clothes from Resurrection on Bold Street (excluding sale items)
- 25% off meals at La Tasca
- A free soft drink with any burrito bought from Barburrito, Liverpool ONE
- 3 for 2 on all treatments at Scin Beauty Salon, Liverpool ONE
- 10% OFF at Menkind, Liverpool ONE
- 10% OFF at PizzaExpress, Liverpool ONE
- Free hair corsage with spend over £30 at Ollie & Nic, Liverpool ONE
- Free CD (Laurel Collective/The Boxer Rebellion) with every purchase at Ted Baker, Liverpool ONE
- 10% OFF at Krispy Kreme, Liverpool ONE
- Selected bottled beers and wines by the glass only £2.99 at Vinea Bar Shop & Deli, Britannia Pavilion, Albert Dock
- 10% OFF at Greenwoods, 33-35 Ranelagh Street
- £10 eye test (normally £20.95) and 2-4-1 on glasses (inc free sunglasses) at Specsavers, 52 Lord Street
- 1/3 OFF Radio City Tower tour at Radio City, St John’s Beacon
- 20% OFF the Yellow Boat Tour, 32 Anchor Courtyard, Albert Dock
- 241 Cocktails (Sunday to Thursday 4pm-8pm) and 2 Cocktails for £10 (exc Saturdays) at Revolution, Atlantic Pavilion, Albert Dock
- 25% OFF at Cafe Rouge, The Met Quarter
More offers will be added over the forthcoming weeks so go to the Band Together page for the latest details.